Brains and Bodies Award
The AHA Brains and Bodies Award recognizes schools in Wake County that are creating a culture of wellness in an ongoing and sustainable way. Utilizing the Alliance for a Healthier Generation’s Healthy Schools Program, schools complete the following 3 assessment modules and an Action Plan for each to be eligible for AHA’s award:
- School Health & Safety Policies & Environment
- Physical Education & Other Physical Activity Programs
- Health Promotion for Staff
Options to learn more:
Schools may begin their assessment at any time for this school year at any time and may update the assessment answers repeatedly until the deadline. Completing the assessment early in the school year and defining your Action Plan is recommended; this provides you with the best opportunity to change policies and practices during the school year in order to eligible for an award.
- Who can apply? Elementary, middle and high schools in Wake County
- Deadline: March 21, 2019, 5 pm
- Winners Celebration: May 2019 (details TBD)
- How to Apply:
- Register/log in here, search for your school (or add it if needed) and add yourself as a “Team Member”
- Complete the assessment for the 3 modules noted above and add items to the Action Plan if prompted to do so. You may update your answers multiple times over the course of the school year. The application is final as of the deadline for consideration of AHA’s award.Previous applicants:1. Log in here.
2. Choose “Schools” under Take Action tab.
3. Search for your school.
4. Review your school’s answers in the 3 modules–has anything changed (either improved or declined)?
5. Change answers as appropriate for the current school year. All 3 modules must be updated during the current school year by the deadline in order to be eligible for award consideration.
- When to Apply: Schools are encouraged to take the online assessment early in the school year and then create an Action Plan to achieve their wellness goals and meet award status during the school year and prior to AHA’s award deadline. Schools may update their online answers repeatedly, but answers submitted by the 2019 deadline, are considered final for AHA’s Brains and Bodies Award.
- Resources to Help with Application Process:
Brentwood Elementary earned the Gold level award again in 2018.
Other AHA Recognition for Schools
Brains and Bodies Workshops
AHA has held a number of workshops in the past to provide knowledge and resources to create a healthier school environment and enforce the local wellness policy
at little or no cost. Workshops provide practical tools and solutions and a way for parents and educators to connect.