Brains & Bodies Awards
The AHA Brains and Bodies Award recognizes schools in Wake County that are creating a culture of wellness in an ongoing and sustainable way. Utilizing the Alliance for a Healthier Generation’s Healthy Schools Program, schools complete the following 3 assessment modules and an Action Plan for each to be eligible for AHA’s award:
- School Health & Safety Policies & Environment
- Physical Education & Other Physical Activity Programs
- Health Promotion for Staff
Awards are earned based on meeting national best practice standards. Schools also may choose to complete all the modules to seek the Alliance’s national recognition.
Schools may begin their assessment at any time (or schools that have applied in the past, may continue to work on their Action Plan to move wellness efforts forward.)
- Who can apply? Elementary, middle and high schools in Wake County
- Deadline: April 6, 2017, 9 pm
- Award Ceremony: May 2017
- How to Apply:
- Register/log in here, search for your school (or add it if needed) and add yourself as a “Team Member”
- Invite AHA to be a “Team Member” by entering this name: Michele McKinley and this email address:
Note: If you do not do this step, AHA has no way of knowing that your school is applying for our award. This is a crucial step.
- Complete the assessment for the 3 modules noted above and add items to the Action Plan if prompted to do so. You may update your answers multiple times over the course of the school year. The application is final as of the 2017 deadline for consideration of AHA’s award.
- When to Apply: Schools are encouraged to take the online assessment early in the school year and then create an Action Plan to achieve their wellness goals and meet award status during the school year and prior to AHA’s award deadline. Schools may update their online answers repeatedly, but answers submitted by April 6, 2017 deadline, are considered final for AHA’s Brains and Bodies Award.
- Resources to Help with Application Process:
Congratulations to all the 2015 Brains and Bodies Award and Wellness Star winners!
Other AHA Recognition for Schools
Brains and Bodies Workshops
AHA has held a number of workshops in the past to provide knowledge and resources to create a healthier school environment and enforce the local wellness policy
at little or no cost. Workshops provide practical tools and solutions and a way for parents and educators to connect.