New WCPSS Wellness Policy
Brenda Elliott, WCPSS
In June, the Board of Education for Wake County Public Schools approved a new Wellness Policy for the school district. Last month, Brenda Elliott, WCPSS Assistant Superintendent, Student Support Services, shared 10 highlights of the new policy with school staff and parents that attended AHA’s Smart Solutions for Schools workshop.
1) It aligns with the North Carolina School Board Association policy.
2) It clarifies the role of the Student Health Advisory Council (SHAC).
3) It includes all 10 areas of the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child Model.
4) It has a focus on healthy snacks and discusses competitive foods at the school.
5) It has a focus on physical activity (recommending 30 minutes of activity each day for students K-8.
6) It strongly endorses school gardens for both education and physical activity opportunities.
7) It supports active transportation to and from school.
8) It has a focus on nutrition.
9) It is an upgrade from the previous policy.
10) It has guidance for implementing and reporting on how active students are and compliance on snacks at a county level.