Celebrate 20 Years of Walk to School Day on October 5
October 5 marks the 20th celebration of International Walk to School Day, which is all about getting more students walking to/at school more often. Students who walk to school arrive focused and ready to learn!
Supplies for Wake County Schools
The first 20 schools in Wake County that register a Walk to School Day event will receive a large banner, 2 yard signs and small prices for students (while supplies last). To claim these supplies for your school:
- Register your event at http://www.walkbiketoschool.org/
- Send an email to Jennifer Delcourt Active Routes to School Region 5 Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, about your event
- Attend AHA’s Sept. 29 Smart Solutions for Schools workshop (either at 10 am or 5:30 pm) to receive your supplies.
- Events can take place any time in October; it’s not limited to Oct. 5
- Events can take place AT school if walking to school is not a feasible and safe option.
- Involve the entire school in the celebration, including students with disabilities.
- Personalize the event to your community. Invite local elected officials and other guests!
- Use the Safe Routes to School in Wake County Toolkit to help you plan your event and ongoing walking programs.
Schools that collect student travel tallies in September will be entered to win 25 Safe Routes to School t-shirts. Contact Jennifer Delcourt for information.